Sunday, June 15, 2008

Power Animal Amulet

I’ve been practicing shamanic journeying and working with my power animal quite a bit more recently.

Ages ago (I’m embarassed to say just how long), my power animal told me to create an amulet for him, something to wear while I journeyed. I thought long and hard about colors and design, what I wanted to put in the amulet, etc., got some of the materials… and never made it happen because I didn’t do too much journeying after that. Now that I’m practicing again, one of the first things he told me was that I needed to complete this project as a way to strengthen the connection between us when I journeyed.

So the above is what I created. It’s crocheted with Senso size 3 cotton yarn and two types of crewelwork thread. Weird, I know, but having the right colors was important to me. I used seed stitch, which creates a houndstooth pattern when the colors of each row are alternated (although I alternated every 2 rows, don’t ask me why, it seemed right). I used a simple hdc for the neck cord. The pouch is approximately 2 3/4 by 2 1/2 inches and the neck cord is long enough that the amulet rests on my chest at heart level.

No comments: