Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tarot Journaling

Since the beginning of the year, I've begun to do more creative journaling. Often, my more creative entries are the ones having to do with tarot readings I've done for myself.


The above is a page I created listing affirmations for the Temperance card (14) of the Major Arcana. Temperance has been a tricky card for me to understand, so I decided to put together this page to help me better understand its meaning and advice. Some of the affirmations come from the excellent Tarot Affirmations deck by Sally Hill, Ph.D., others come from Mary K. Greer's book Tarot for Yourself. I used bright yellow and blue for colors for this page, because they seemed to reflect the energy of the Temperance card from the deck I use most often, the Robin Wood Tarot:


Above all, for me, tarot is a feast for the eyes! Just written journaling did not help me conjure up the power or message of the spreads I did when I went back to review. So I began to create pages to visually complement my written words.

The above page is the Star of Recovery Spread from Christine Jette's book Tarot Shadow Work. The tarot deck I used for this spread (as well as graphics for my journal page) is the Tarot of Transformation by Jasmin Cori and Willow Arleana, a gorgeous healing tarot. It was very helpful for me to draw out the journey of the healing cycle on the page, so that I could see the path I needed to take while working with this spread.

Above is a page I created for the reading I did this past new moon. It is the Lady of the Hunt spread, another from Christine Jette. I photocopied the moon maiden spread from Tarot For All Seasons and colored it with colored pencils, then pasted it on a background of blue construction paper and added a little interesting detail with some of my celestial themed rubber stamps. Then I printed up miniature copies of the cards I pulled for this reading and pasted them in the proper positions. The deck used this time was the Vision Quest Tarot.

HELPFUL HINT: If this post inspires you to create some of your own tarot journaling pages, check out Taroteca, a large compilation of graphics from many, many tarot decks. If by chance your deck is not there, you can either make color photocopies of your cards and decrease the scale size or you can scan your cards and then adjust them to a smaller size before you print them.

And, if you do create some tarot pages, please feel free to let me know. I'd love to see them and hear about how the process worked for you.

6 comments:

mrsb said...

Wow, I never thought to make a Tarot journal into a craft in itself! What a great idea! I use the Goddess Deck, and I just love it. It would be beautiful to make into journal pages.

Thanks for the inspiration!

intothedawn said...

MrsB~ The Goddess Tarot is a lovely one; you're right, it would make some wonderful journal pages! Glad to provide some inspiration, and if you care to share any tarot journal pages, I'd love to see what you create.

Arty Em said...

what a great idea to do tarot journaling - thanks so much for sharing this idea, I am going to try some right now!
blessed BE!

intothedawn said...

ARTY EM~ Glad you enjoyed the post-- would love to see what kinds of tarot journaling pages you create.

Kathleen said...

A woman after my own heart! I thought I was the only one to scan my cards and glue them into my journal!

Your journal work is beautiful and inspiring!

intothedawn said...

KATHLEEN~ LOL! You are not alone. I use tarot imagery wherever and whenever I can!