Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lady of the Roses

I have an attraction to pear and egg shapes, probably because I'm that shape myself. This is an idea that's been brewing for quite a while now, a series of egg-shaped goddesses.

This Lady of the Roses is my prototype and I'm really pleased with how she turned out. She's made of polymer clay with a patina of venetian gold and stands about 5 inches tall.

She was inspired by a little egg-shaped ivory goddess figure I bought years ago for my traveling altar, and also by La Virgen de Guadalupe, who is often depicted as surrounded by roses as well as a halo of light. I tutored a woman from Mexico several years ago and she shared with me the story of La Virgen and invited me to the festival celebrations in her honor on December 12th. It was a beautiful experience, full of spectacular dancing, mirth and reverence and community, and is a very special memory for me.

I've sketched out ideas for several more egg-shaped goddesses. I wonder if they will be appealing to others?

12 comments:

Draven said...

I love Her she is so beautiful and so different... GREAT idea... so creative...

kim said...

I think it's is amazing! The detail is wonderful.

intothedawn said...

DRAVEN~ Thank you! I was hoping this concept wouldn't be too far fetched, I'm glad you like her.

KIM~ Thanks so much, I spent quite a bit of time on the details.

Judi said...

I love Her! I think it's a great idea. I am looking forward to seeing more. Each Goddess must have some special attributes that could become part of an egg shape - after all, Goddess - creation - life - egg - it flows.

Green Fingers said...

Oh I love the idea! She is beautiful . . . roses are really important to me also, makes her doubly appealing.

intothedawn said...

JUDI~ Thank you! Eggs & flowers seem to be the theme that's evolving-- I must be thinking spring!

GREENFINGERS~ Thanks! Yes, roses are significant to me in so many ways-- its also the flower of my birth month and my anniversary.

Caroline said...

Just loving your blog! And the "Lady of the Roses" is so sweet. I have enjoyed reading your posts! Found you through Suzie at Chez Suzie.

Sacred Suzie said...

I have never seen anything quite like it and absolutely adore how feminine and beautiful it is. It just screams (or perhaps whispers?): SACRED. She's absolutely amazing, you've really captured something special here my friend.

You are worth it! The colour and the cut!

Genie Sea said...

Hello! Can you say 21st century Fabergé? Mhm! That's what I think! Spectacular! :)

sukigirl said...

She's really beautiful.
What's nice is that she is open to all sorts of interpretations, to me she looks more bound to the earth than a goddess figure.

intothedawn said...

CAROLINE~ Glad you've enjoyed looking around here, hope you'll return!

SACRED SUZIE~ Thank you so much! I think there is something sacred about the egg shape-- and of course, nature is so sacred, too.

GENIE SEA~ LOL! I never even thought about the Faberge eggs! Maybe should rename her Faberge Goddess! LOL

SUKIGIRL~ Oh, I like that interpretation of her, thank you! I was hoping to create a figure that would be inspiring from many perspectives.

Jamie said...

What a beautiful idea! She's so warm and inviting. Beautiful!