Tomorrow is Imbolc and I have been thinking a lot about what I'd like to do this year. I think of Imbolc as the time of earth's quickening and also as a time of clearing out the old to make way for the new. A time of purifying mind, body, spirit, home.
So I think I will take a purification shower and continue with the cleaning I've begun around the house. I've also decided to try a couple of new recipes. The first one being:
SPRING TONIC SOUP
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 leeks, white parts only, well-washed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more, to taste)
6 cups vegetable broth or water
Handful of mustard greens, watercress, or parsley, coarsely chopped
croutons for garnish
sour cream for garnish
sprouts for garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add leeks, bell pepper, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle vegetables with paprika and cayenne to taste.
2. Add vegetable broth or water, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Add greens and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. To serve, place a few croutons in each individual soup bowl, then add broth. Top each serving with sour cream and a couple of fresh sprouts.
Serves 4 to 6.
This soup is supposed to be rich with flavonoids, and will clear the sinuses and promote healing. Its also full of spring-y and fiery flavor.
I've always wanted to try making a baked custard and while browsing recipes online, I found the perfect one to try:
BAKED CUSTARD FOR TWO
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In a bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined.
2. Pour into two ungreased 6-oz. custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
3. Place in an 8-in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of hot water to the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Other than these simple plans, I will wait and see what other inspirations arise tomorrow.
21 hours ago