Friday, February 27, 2009

New Moon Gazing

Working in my craft room this evening, I saw the new moon outside the window above my altar. It's my favorite type of new moon-- a slender crescent lying on its back, what I call a moon cradle. And near it tonight, a bright, sparkling Venus. Absolutely lovely.


So of course I had to go out in the cold and take pictures.

What with dodging all the power lines, telephone poles, roof tops and street lights, these were the best shots I could get. I tried three different locations in the backyard, hoping to perfectly capture this magical moon cradle.

It felt good to be outside, basking in the light of the moon, even though the air was crisp, and my hands growing numb on the camera and tripod, and my nose beginning to run. The moon always looks its best when the nights are cold, it seems. No dancing under the moon for me tonight, but I did think about it...

4 comments:

Draven said...

Beautiful pictures...

sukigirl said...

I happened to be outside and caught a glimpse of the moon and Venus too. It was wonderful to see although unfortunately I was zipping through the night in a car when I saw it, but it was still a lovely sight.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures of it!

originalbliss said...

Fabulous photos!!!! Venus has been such an inspiration and comfort to me this year. You captured her beautifully!

Oriana Green said...

Lovely images, the new moon is so seductive. I , too, look forward to moon dancing weather. I also wrote a response to the new moon here.

Blessed be,
Sister of the Moon