Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My First Cane

I said I would never get into canework with poly clay... well, never say never! I made my very first clay cane today and here it is:


It's a leopard spot! I know, I know, it's nothing spectacular, but I am right proud of it anyway, and made it several sizes. I even made a little square wrapped cane with the spot in the middle! Simple I know, but it's what I'm going to DO with them that's going to be so cool. (Hint: lower right corner of photo.)

And I did lots of research to make this cane-- its hard to find a decent tutorial on making a leopard spot cane. The best one I could find was one on making a leopard cane license plate holder. But I didn't think that cane looked quite right-- too perfect of a spot, you know? So I looked at lots of photos of leopards to get an idea of what it should look like, too. My gosh, they are absolutely gorgeous animals! I wanted to pet one. But I digress...

Okay, I was going to wait until the project was complete, but I'm too excited! He just came out of the oven, and I have to share:

Mr. Leopard!

But the spotted madness doesn't end here (well, it does for tonight)-- stay tuned for the completed project, coming soon!

4 comments:

Draven said...

So beautiful... Great job... I want to start playing with clay my self... There are so many things I want to learn just not enough hours in a day lol... Keep up the great work...

Genie Sea said...

Simple? Not much? I can't do it! I can't even fathom how you do it! It's marvelous! :)

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

That caning always has a way of sneaking into a clayers life, even if they fight it! ;-)

Love how your first cane turned out! It was smart to do some research to get the 'spot' that you wanted.

That cane (and the many more you make now) will be very useful to you in the future!

Pop by if you ever find you need any help with the new canes you create. It would be my pleasure!

Karri said...

Simply lovely creations! I put my clay away a while back...maybe it's time to get it back out. Oh my...you've inspired me!!

Once again...LOVELY items!

Blessings,
Karri