Sunday, March 8, 2009

Secret #9~ Transcending Rejections & Roadblocks

Here we are at week 9 already with TNC:12 Secrets. This week is all about rising above rejection and learning how to maneuver the roadblocks along the creative path.

I think the chapter summary page said it well:
"Believing in your creative process or project and persevering through the trials along the way make all the difference."
I think this is really where I'm at right now-- I really believe in my creative process, plus I acknowledge that I still have lots to learn, so I feel that any rejection I experience is just part of my learning process. I believe that the more I learn and practice my craft, the better I'll get as time goes on.

I think another thing that helps me is that much of what I'm doing right now is for myself. I'm creating things I want to create, I'm creating things that help me learn new techniques with polymer clay. If something turns out wonderful and I think someone else might like it too, I put it in my Etsy shop to see what happens. Even if something doesn't sell, that doesn't mean its not good, it just means that the right person hasn't seen it or people aren't spending right now because of the economy or whatever.

I had some of my rune necklaces at a local pagan shop. I sold some, but sales were slow, even though they were in a great location to be noticed at the shop. After a year (wow, they were there a whole year!) the shop owner called and asked me to come pick them up, since they weren't moving very fast. I admit, I did feel a twinge of rejection... but I also knew that these necklaces have a narrow window of appeal-- for one, they're pretty pagan, and for two, runes don't appeal to all pagans. But the ones I have sold, people have loved, and I've even gotten some special requests.

Anyway, the shop owner was very kind about removing and returning them and said she would be happy to give new items I came up with in the future a year and a day in the shop. I took some of this returned stock to the other local shop that carries my items and they were thrilled to have them. Some I put in my Etsy store and some were cannibalized for their beads and such. So it was all okay.

I have to admit, this experience was new for me. To be okay with rejection. Usually I don't deal well with rejection-- real or perceived. So I was really amazed that I was able to separate self/ego from this situation. It was a learning experience, a very good one for me. I think I came out on top of it. Maybe this won't always happen, but who knows? Perhaps I'm learning more than just how to create with polymer clay-- perhaps I'm learning a whole new perspective with which I can view life.

5 comments:

amy said...

I wouldn't even think of that as rejection so hopefully you don't either in the grand scheme. And I think it's great you have items in local stores. That didn't occur to me until recently and people love to buy local too. I think there's that quote about if you aren't getting rejected daily you aren't working hard enough or something. I like that it's part of your process and integrated into it. Nice. :)

Lissa said...

I agree with Amy- I didn't view it as rejection. Your pieces were always appreciated and maybe it was time for the others to be moved- so that they can catch the eye of some new people! It is so great that you believe in your creative process, and I want you to know that I do as well:)

BEADNIK (petra.janssen) said...

Believing in your creative process is a BIG task. I can feel that you are doing a pretty good job ... :)

Go ahead ... with lots of love for yourself,

PEtra

Genie Sea said...

Look at YOU! I am so filled with pride for you. Graciously accepting "rejection" and looking at other venues. The perpetual other door that opens, and you walked right through!

You GO girl! :)

D said...

I think having your work in a local shop is a great accomplishment and you should be so proud.

Life is about taking risks and rejection is just proof that we are doing that. Not all our pursuits can end perfectly. If they did then how would we be able to appreciate any of them.

Thanks for sharing your story.