Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My First Mica Shifts

Mica shift has long been on my list of polymer clay techniques to experiment with. And when ColtPixy started sharing pictures of her gorgeous mica shift results, I just had to stop everything and try it.

The above are my very first attempts, using a very simple ripple blade technique (scroll about halfway down that page to find it). I really liked how they turned out. The appearance of depth and dimension is due to the "shift" in the mica particles in the clay, but actually these pieces are flat and smooth. These trios will become matching pendant necklace & earring sets.

This one was made using a rubber stamp and then shaving the clay away with a blade until the piece was flat and smooth again. Its going to be a pendant eventually.

More mica shift designs achieved using rubber stamps. Its quite addictive, once you get the hang of it.

After baking, all these pieces were sanded with 5 different grits of wet/dry sandpaper from 400 to 1500 grit. Then I buffed them with a piece of denim. I will probably varnish them as well, to bring out more shine and protect their surfaces. But first, to finish their settings so I can make them into jewelry.

8 comments:

coltpixy said...

I L♥VE them!
Welcome to my addiction. I am so glad you tried it. All hope is lost, now you are one with the mica. :^)

HaffinaCreations said...

They are awesome! Well done!

Genie Sea said...

They look good enough to eat! :)

intothedawn said...

COLTPIXY~ Hehehe, you have created a monster!

HAFFINA CREATIONS~ Thanks! I believe I heard you're ColtPixy's other mica shift convert? ;-)

GENIE SEA~ Thank you!

sukigirl said...

Oh no...do you think this mica shift obsession is spreading! I hope so since you guys are making such beautiful things with it!

intothedawn said...

SUKIGIRL~ *LOL* Well, I know I've caught it; I'm totally obsessed now.

Cynthia said...

Okay, your whole blog has inspired me today and these little mica shifts are amazing. I can't believe they are flat and smooth!

Thank you for the link to coltpixy.

Blogger said...

Ever considered maximizing your free satoshi claims by using a BTC FAUCET ROTATOR?