Friday, May 1, 2009

Blessed Beltaine

IN MAY
Yes, I will spend the livelong day
With Nature this month of May;
And sit beneath the trees, and share
My bread with birds whose homes are there;

While cows lie down to eat, and sheep
Stand to their necks in grass so deep;
While birds do sing with all their might,
As though they felt the earth in flight.

~ William Henry Davies
It's May! But strangely, it does not feel like the merry month of May here. We barely had any snow all winter long and then in April we had more snow and rain than we did all winter. So we are getting our winter a bit late this year. And it has been known to snow in May here, so we could be in for a Beltaine surprise!

I'm not sure how I will celebrate Beltaine this year. What I would like to do is spend time in my herb garden this weekend, mulch, pull out any bits of dried and dead foliage, hang up the wind chimes and welcome signs and ribbons and then plant my containers on the patio. But since its forecasted to be cold and rainy, I'm at a bit of a loss. Indoor Beltaine celebrations just don't seem quite right to me...

However you celebrate this year, have a beautiful and blessed Beltaine!

4 comments:

mrsb said...

To you as well!

amy said...

I hope you find something seasonal to do this weekend. I love the photo of the ribbons in the tree. Happy Beltane!

Sorrow said...

A most blessed Celebration of spring to you.
May the bale fires bring you warmth!

onelittlepagan said...

And a blessed Beltaine to you! I hope you founds something you could do without getting too wet. :-) I know how frustrating it is when you feel like the seasons aren't cooperating with the wheel of the year!