Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Its a Sunshine Day

PCSG is having our first monthly challenge. The theme is YELLOW. I finished up my piece yesterday:


I call it the Swirly Summer Sun brooch-- its a pin to decorate your lapel, your purse or to hold up the brim of your summer hat.

Working with yellow was really a challenge for me. Its not a color I use very often. I had to really think about what kinds of things are yellow... daisies, sunflowers, tulips, roses, lemons, baby ducks, the sun... that was about all I could come up with. There were already lemon & sunflower entries made, so I thought since summer and solstice is on the way, I'd play with the sun idea.

Our entries are due by 9 PM May 27th; voting for the challenge will be at the Polymer Clay Smooshers blog. Stop on by and see all the wonderful entries & vote for your fave!

8 comments:

coltpixy said...

It is fabulous! Beautiful! I have been struggling with yellow but does not look like you have.

Sorrow said...

Do you have any of the Mica shift pieces posted anywhere?
Love the spiral sunflowers, very YELLOW!!!
LOl

Genie Sea said...

Oh! I love the nuances of color and texture! This piece made me smile! It's like a piece of sunshine! :)

Cynthia said...

Damn it Girl!! This is just a frickin amazing piece of work! :)

Please come to my home and teach me how to do this stuff. Are you featured in a magazine yet? You should be!

love :)
me

intothedawn said...

COLTPIXY~ Thanks! It may not look like I struggled, but I really did with this challenge. I had to do a lot of thinking and had several false starts.

SORROW~ At least I got the color right, LOL! You can find several of the finished mica shift pieces here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/intothedawn/

GENIE SEA~ Thanks so much! Yellow is such a happy color, isn't it?

CYNTHIA~ I'd love to have a clay play date with you! That would be so fun. (And its therapeutic!)

My Hero & Shadow pieces will be in a publication sometime in the next few months thru Mother Henna's publishing company.

2 Good Claymates - Dave and Carolyn Good said...

I love it! It is sooo yellow and sunny! I love working with yellow but don't you find it is like white? Hard to keep lint, etc out of it and from showing! A real nightmare sometimes! But you did a lovely job!

Kathleen said...

This is a beautiful brooch, it has so much life and energy ... well done!

Very Geminian too!

Happy Birthday for June 2!

intothedawn said...

CAROLYN~ Thanks! I *did* find yellow was hard to keep clean, I wiped my hands and workspace quite a bit while working with it. However, white is still definitely the WORST to keep clean, I just can't figure out where all the little spots and speckles come from.

KATHLEEN~ Thanks and thanks for the b-day wishes! That's right, yellow is a Gemini color, isn't it? Air sign & color.