Saturday, May 16, 2009

New Feathered Visitor

We had a lovely new feathered friend visit our bird feeder today! I was thrilled to look out the kitchen window and see this brilliantly colored bird enjoying the safflower seeds:

Between all my excited ooh-ing and ahh-ing and calling Husband to "come see, right now," I managed to take some photos of our gorgeous visitor, so that I could look him up in our Western Birds Peterson Field Guide after he was gone and be able to identify him.

This handsome bird is a male Black-headed Grosbeak (I had figured it was probably a male because they usually get all the brilliant coloring compared to female birds). His thick bill is adapted for seed-cracking and his song is supposed to be a rising and falling passage similar to robins, who have quite lovely songs themselves.

Thank you for visiting Mr. Grosbeak, and I hope you return now that you know the way!

4 comments:

amy said...

Oh he is gorgeous! Yes I wonder if they tell the others or if they sort show them the way?

peppylady said...

I was going to post about the birds I've been seeing around the place.
But with my birdbrain I total forgot.

Coffee is on.

Genie Sea said...

What a fascinating birdie! So handsome :)

Cynthia said...

O wow!! Great Shots! I always figure by the time I get my camera the darn thing gets away. What a beauty!

:)C