Sunday, June 21, 2009

In Loving Memory

My Gram, Meta
December 19, 1911 - June 21, 2009
at her 97th b-day celebration

Thank you, Gram, for all the loving years we shared. Thank you for teaching me to make perfect scrambled eggs and how to set a lovely table. Thank you for the weekend breakfasts together, eggs, waffles cooked right at the table, English muffins with jam and Sizzlean. I'll always remember waking up to you whistling polkas in the kitchen on Saturday mornings while getting breakfast started.

Thank you for all the wonderful books you introduced me to: the Little House on the Prairie series, Heidi, Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Yearling, Raggedy Ann's Adventures, Nancy Drew and Anne of Green Gables... thanks for inspiring me to try embroidery and learn how to sew. I still remember all the lovely dresses you helped make for me when I was in elementary school. Thank you for always having time to play Aggravation and Kings in the Corner and for making me a fan of Jeopardy.

You taught me to love African violets and antiques and vintage china and table linens. You taught me that family dinners and traditions and celebrations were important. You showed me how to make a house a home. And so much more...

You'll always be in my heart, Gram.

12 comments:

sukigirl said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother, you were truly blessed to have such a loving person like her in your life.
And what a wonderful picture!
hugs suki

AutumnZ said...

Can't you just picture her exuberance in the Summerlands?

Dori said...

Goddess bless.

coltpixy said...

You described her so wonderfully. Beautiful memories of a beautiful woman.
(((hugs)))

mrsb said...

((hugs))

beweaver said...

hugs. just hugs.

Jean said...

My condolences.

PolymerClayTutor said...

You Gram looks like a real sweetheart. Imagine, 97 years and a beaming smile like that! I bet she was loved by many people, including you. Blessings to you and your family during this time. ~Cindy

Nydia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Turtle. She looks so adorable in this photo, I can imagine how lovely she must have been. How lucky you were to have her in your life! May the Goddess bless her and you too, for your beautiful tribute.

Kisses from Nydia.

dorasexplorations said...

What a lovely woman she was, you were indeed blessed to have her in your life !

Jaspenelle said...

Look at that vibrant smile! She looks like a women who throughly enjoyed her life, you are so blessed to have so many beautiful memories of her. *hugs* You wrote a beautiful tribute, goddess bless.

judi said...

Grandmothers are sometimes our rarest gifts
I know you will have forever lasting wonderul memories