Saturday, June 6, 2009

This, That, The Other

CAUTION:
News, awards and a pile of memes ahead.

Monday morning, June 1st, the winner of the first Polymer Clay Smooshers Guild monthly challenge was announced: my swirly sun brooch! The challenge was a smashing success with 8 entries, 87 votes, 24 new followers of the guild blog and tons of promotion for guild, its members and their poly clay work.

As winner of the challenge, I pick the theme for the next month. My choice was PASTELS. A few thoughts about why I picked PASTELS as the theme for the challenge:

1- It seems like I don't see pastel colors used very much by very many poly clayers. Lots of people mix special colors, but its rare to see an ALL PASTEL palette used. I know *I* don't use pastels. So I thought it would challenge many of us to think outside our color comfort zone.

2- Clay isn't sold in pastel colors-- hence, it challenges us to work with mixing clays and creating new colors.

3- Pale colored pieces can be a challenge for baking. Some clay colors automatically darken during baking, and light colors of clay have to be carefully watched during the baking process to prevent burning. So baking pastels could also end up being a challenge.

4- when I think pastel, I think of dainty work. But does it *have* to be? Maybe we can think out of the box and come up with some FUNKY pastel pieces!

We also have another award winner in our guild: 2goodclaymates won the May challenge of the ArtFire Artisan Jewelers guild. The theme was Cinco de Mayo and her swirly gecko fiesta necklace is fantastic! See it HERE.

Peppylady tagged me for the 8 Questions and Growing meme. The rules are:

1. Link to the person or persons who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Copy these question but add your own answers to them.
5. Tag as many as you feel like but you have to a least tag one.
6. Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
7. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
8. If anyone catches this out in blog world, they are welcome to jump on board.

1. Has the Economy effected you? Absolutely! We are watching our pennies more than ever.

2. What flowers are blooming in your garden? My calendula, chamomile, peonies, shasta daisies, red geraniums and decorative sage are all in bloom right now in my yard.

3. What are clouds like your area now? Just a few big fluffy white clouds with a touch of grey on the undersides are in the sky this afternoon.

4. Do you wear glasses? Yep, sure do! Ever since 4th grade.

5. Do you have a Target were you live? Yes, but I haven't shopped there for at least a year.

6. Have you read 10 10 10? Not only have I not read it, I've never even heard of it.

7. How many letter in your middle name? 5

8. What is a good motto? "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Ghandi

9. What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day? Curl up under a blanket and read a good book.

Like this meme? Take it, add your question, pass it along!

The wonderfully creative Coltpixy was awarded the "One Lovely Blog" award, not once, but twice this week! She in turn passed it on to me.

Thanks so much, Coltpixy! I'm honored that you thought of me and my blog. Posting has been erratic here lately, but I'm glad to know people still enjoy visiting! Now to pass on the award to 15 others-- this is a mix of wonderful, creative bloggers:

Magical Musings
Honor Yourself
Bead Dreamer
Mother Henna
Carolina Gonzalez
Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom
Reality Insanity
Whimsigals
Weaving the Web
Attic 24
Barb's Craft Therapy
Bringing Up Salamanders
Simple Craft
Her Speak
Dora's Explorations

Next up, Mrs. B tagged me for the 8 Things Meme:

8 things I'm looking forward to:

  1. full moon ritual tonight with friends
  2. a massage next Wednesday
  3. coloring my own tarot deck
  4. using my new rotary tool
  5. going to the zoo for Firehand's b-day
  6. my 12th wedding anniversary
  7. new project starting at work
  8. summer time fun!

8 things I did yesterday:

  1. got a massage
  2. put gas in my car-- first time in a whole month!
  3. took photos of new necklaces for my online shops
  4. jammed with Journey "Stone in Love"
  5. watched "Land of the Lost" TV show marathon with husband
  6. ate chicken shawarma
  7. played with my new tarot deck
  8. brushed Moose until he ran away

8 things I wish I could do:

  1. sew well and sew fast, takes me forever
  2. swim with sea turtles
  3. get my bf JLo to come for a week long visit
  4. be able to go back to IA to help my mom after her surgery
  5. travel more
  6. have an abundance of energy
  7. get my living room and kitchen painted
  8. fly-- sans airplane; wings preferred

8 shows I watch:

  1. Forensic Files
  2. CSI-- the original one only!
  3. Forensic Files
  4. Criminal Minds
  5. Forensic Files
  6. Paranormal State
  7. Dexter
  8. aaaannnndddd... Forensic Files ;-)

8 favorite foods:

  1. potatoes, any way you want to make 'em
  2. steak on the grill
  3. smothered burritos
  4. chicken shawarma
  5. berries-- strawberries, blackberries, cranberries, mulberries, blueberries...
  6. Granny Smith apples
  7. real NY cheesecake
  8. cheese fondue

8 places I'd like to travel:

  1. Niagara Falls
  2. Mackinac Island
  3. Wales
  4. Scotland
  5. Ireland
  6. England
  7. the Carribean Islands
  8. HERE to do THIS

8 people I've tagged:

Up for grabs, people! Take it and run with it.

And now its time for: one... more... meme! Are you ready?

Coltpixy also tagged me for 7 Random Things; let's see if I can come up with some interesting answers.

  1. I have a degree in psychology and my all time favorite job was doing research for the Institute for Social & Behavioral Research. I'd love to do more behavioral research, it's fascinating.
  2. I said "No' the first three times my husband asked me to marry him. I'm glad he asked one more time!
  3. I pretty much refuse to wear anything black. When I was younger I liked wearing black and white together and I still wear white now, but not black. It's just too... black.
  4. I love tarot decks; I think they are fascinating. I love the psychology of tarot and seeing the different interpretations of all the archetypes. They are also like little mini-collections of art.
  5. I like to buy my books in trade paperback size. I carry them around in a zippered book cover during the time I'm reading them. I don't dog-ear pages or break the spine. Yes, its safe to say I'm a bit OCD about my books.
  6. I love vintage china and would love to collect it, but I don't see the purpose of having lots of stuff I don't use, so I mostly drool over it at antique stores and online. My favorite styles: anything chintz, especially in yellow/pink, and Clarice Cliff's Tonquin in mulberry. Looooove transferware and carnival glass, too.
  7. I took children's theatre classes when I was young and had many roles in theatre productions in junior high & high school, but I'd be terrified to be on stage nowadays. I don't know how I ever did it.

Now I'm supposed to tag 7 people-- here's where I break the rules. If you want to do this meme, go for it! Free to all!

Dudes, I think I'm finally caught up. Whew!

5 comments:

mrsb said...

I love Criminal Minds! Dr. Reid rocks!!

And thank you so much for the award!!

intothedawn said...

MRS. B~ Dr. Reid is my fave character on CM, too!

beweaver said...

I surely needed that this morining. Thankee much!

Hugs
~C~

P.S. the word verification for this comment is "spell" ;-)

Lawendula said...

Very interesting.
Hey, the Ghandi-Sentence is on my blog too!
I really like that.

dorasexplorations said...

Thanks so much for mentioning my blog, I feel very honored ! And I enjoyed reading your lists, it's amazing what one can learn by reading others' answers to tag questions !