Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mixing and Caning

Recently, I decided to have some fun with mixing polymer clay color recipes.

Usually when I mix colors, I just smoosh my clays together until I get a color I like, with no attention to any details, like keeping track of which colors I've mixed or how much of each color I've used. And I've come up with some very nice colors that way. The problem is, if I run out of a color that I need before finishing my project, I have difficulty reproducing the same color/shade.

Thus, my experiments with recipes. I've been collecting clay color recipes for some time now; Cindy Leitz at Polymer Clay Tutor shares some great recipes. I also have a list I printed out that was compiled and shared by Christi Friesen's yahoo group members.

Here are the colors I mixed:

As Cindy suggests with her recipe cards, I made a "color chip" for each clay color I created. I'll paste it to my clay recipe card and then I'll know exactly what that color will look like baked, which is handy because sometimes clay colors (especially Premo) change slightly after baking.

When I'd made enough mixed colors for the time being, I started to make Skinner blends, which I then turned in to simple rolled canes. Then I shaped the canes into leaves and petals.


This is yet another little project on my endless polymer clay "to do" list that I've been wanting to experiment with for some time now. What happens next? Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Sorrow said...

OOOoooo
Those colors are so pretty!
Looking forward to seeing what the final things look like!

mrsb said...

Oh, the purply-blue ones look just like agates!

PolymerClayTutor said...

It is so nice to see that you're enjoying and mixing up the recipes intothedawn! I'll be posting another set of Sculpey III recipes that Carrie sent me, in the next day or two. If you do start coming up with some nice recipes of your own that you want to share, I would be happy to post them for you. Can't wait to see what you experiment with next! ~Cindy Lietz

peppylady (Dora) said...

I have the same trouble with mixing acrylics for some of my ceramic project.
I try to mix more then I need and put it in a empty jar.
I don't know if you can go a marble or swirl effect or not but it something interesting a pretty.

Coffee is on.