Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Special Rune Set

I've been working on a special set of my herbal runes the past couple of days. These are a gift for a friend.

Whenever I make herbal runes, I always include a leafy herb and a flower, like lemon balm leaves & calendula petals. For this set, because my friend really likes purple, I included 2 flowers-- African violet petals and ground lavender buds. The flowers make little purple speckles in the clay and the lavender makes them smell wonderful! It's not an overpowering scent, but it does last a long time. Magically, African violets are said to provide protection and lavender enhances psychic awareness and creativity.


I also tinted the clay for these runes, which I usually don't do. I like to leave the clay its natural color so that the herbs in them can be more easily seen. But to make them more purpley for my friend, I added a tiny bit of fuschia & purple color to them.

And I had one other special addition-- gold leaf. That's all the gold speckles you can see in the photos. It's hard to tell in the pics, but the gold leaf is very glittery. It really added a special touch!

I spent today sanding and buffing the runes so that they have a nice glossy shine. Now to pop them in an organza bag so that they will be all ready to give to my friend when I see her tomorrow!

7 comments:

Jaspenelle Stewart said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love all the extra touches you put into these runes, I can tell a lot of love when into them. I'm sure your friend will adore them, will you share her reaction with us?

silverstarsanctuary said...

I just left a comment and then it deleted. Oh well, anyways I was going to say these are so beautiful and meaningful. :) I can almost smell them.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Simply sparkly. I real like the gold specks in it.
Not to heavy or to light.

Coffee is on.

Nydia said...

Oh, I love the colors!!! I'm sure your friend will love them! I never get enough of your art, turtle!

Weekly kisses from us.

threadsofmagique said...

These are really beautiful and so is your blog. I'm glad I followed the link from Witch's Craft.

forestgrove said...

These are so pretty! I love that you put herbs in them, makes my inner rootworker happy ;)

Domestic Witch said...

Dear Gods, those are gorgeous! I want sparkly pink runes!