Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy Autumn Equinox

AUTUMN leaves, autumn leaves
Lie strewn around me here,
Autumn leaves, autumn leaves,
How sad, how cold, how drear!
How like the hopes of childhood's day,
Thick clust'ring on the bough!
How like those hopes in their decay—
How faded are they now!

Withered leaves, withered leaves,
That fly before the gale;
Withered leaves, withered leaves,
Ye tell a mournful tale
Of love once true, and friends once kind,
And happy moments fled:
Dispersed by every breath of wind,
Forgotten, changed, or dead.

~ Charles Dickens

Happy & blessed Autumn Equinox! Fall came upon us overnight-- we went from warm and sunny days all last week to cold and rain all this week. For weeks now, I've noticed the days becoming shorter; now that the equinox is here and soon gone, the short days will quickly become even more pronounced.


Up in the mountains the aspen trees above 8,000 ft. are turning golden yellow. I took this photo last Friday from Rainbow Curve (elevation 10,875 ft.) in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a hazy day, which softened the fall colors. The beautiful rust-colored trees you see are unfortunately NOT a product of autumn weather-- they are diseased and dying pine trees affected by pine beetle infestation. It was very sad to see all the dead pines everywhere.

Autumn Equinox always triggers a thoughtful mood for me. I have sometimes heard of this time of year called the in-gathering and that seems very apt. I start to turn inward, gather my thoughts, prepare myself for the winter days ahead.

How does the Autumn Equinox affect you this year?

6 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope your having a blessed first day of Autumn.
We also have trouble pine beetle infestation.

I'll be having my post up soon about leaving summer and welcoming in Mabon season.

I'm offering hot apple cider for the first day of fall.

miss*R said...

a blessed Autumn Equinox from me.. while I go into Spring Equinox.

awful about the beetle infestation and the death of trees.. maybe you could go and walk through the forest and do some healing ?? xo
ps how are you going with the Artists way?

The girl in love with the piano said...

Happy autumn! its so beautiful to see this all the way from Barcelona, Spain. Red yellowy colours making you travel within. Introspection time with positive intentions. Blessings!

threadsofmagique said...

Hope you had a joyful and blessed Equinox!

Nydia said...

What a beautiful photo, Turtle! SO sad about the infestation, though...

Hope you enjoy your time in this awesome place with yours!

Kisses with love from us.

magicalmusings said...

Happy Autumn to you! I am sort of looking at this Autumn as being almost a new year of sorts so I feel full of good thoughts and energy. Blessings!
Amy
p.s. i changed my blog address spur of the moment (sort of).