Wednesday, January 27, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Chrysanthemum Cane

This simple cane technique has been on my polymer clay list of things to try for a long time now. I made my first cane following this tutorial, and because its close to Valentine's Day I used pink and purple clays left over from my color mixing experiment.


I love the look of this cane! I was very happy with how it turned out and now I can't wait to try making it with different color schemes. I think it would be gorgeous in true chrysanthemum colors-- yellows, oranges and golds. Needless to say, I'll be playing with this cane more in the future.

Now to USE the cane-- which calls for some practice in slicing very thin slices. A while ago, I watched a very good video I found somewhere online which showed how to slice tissue thin, even slices... but alas, alack, now I can't find it again. So I had to do my best from memory.


After I laid the slices on a solid background color of clay, I ran it through the pasta machine to create a smooth, solid sheet of the design and then cut out my shapes. The hearts have now been baked, hand sanded with 4 different grits of wet/dry sandpaper and buffed with felt using my rotary tool, so they are super smooth and shiny. Next up is to make them into necklaces and earrings.

What are you currently working on?

No comments: