Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tarot Image Transfers

I've been experimenting with image transfers onto polymer clay and my experiments have been successful!

On the left are poly clay tiles with the transfer images in place, well burnished and ready to bake. On the right are the tiles after baking and with the transfer paper removed. I'm amazed at how bright the colors are! The faded rectangles are all that's left of the image on the transfer paper.

I followed this Color Photo Transfer lesson, using Avery Ink-Jet Iron-On T-shirt Transfer paper. The only thing I did differently was that I covered my clay pieces with a ceramic tile for the first bake and then baked 10 minutes to set the image, instead of 5-7 minutes. I removed the tile when I removed the image paper and then I finished the bake.

The secret, I think, is in the burnishing. Not enough pressure, and the image comes out faded because all the color doesn't transfer. I also had to be sure to burnish the image thoroughly around the edges, or I would lose part of the transfer.

But all in all, this transfer technique worked like a charm! One more item completed on my polymer clay " learn to do" list.

6 comments:

hidingplainsight said...

Cool! Do you have to make sure you print onto the inkjet paper backwards so that it transfers the right way? That always twists my mind up a bit figuring that out.

intothedawn said...

Yes, I did have to "flip" the images so they would come out correctly. Took a little while to figure out how to get that done on our printer, and then I said a little prayer that I'd done it right before printing them up. LOL

sukigirl said...

Oh I love this!
I really have to try this sometime.
I'm amazed how well the images transferred.

threadsofmagique said...

These are just so cool! I love them!

Melobeau said...

Your transfers came out SO well you've given me the courage to try it. It's something I've been wanting to experiment for a long time. Thanks for the link to Dottie's tute.

WOL said...

You could make a fabulous "family tree" mobile using this technique with scanned photographs of family members from different generations of a family. Or make keepsake pendants, or blessing plaques. . . !

Thanks for a great idea!

Here's an inspirational thought for your inspiration board:

Behold the exquisite pearl, and yet at the heart of this precious gem is a grain of sand. Even the most common and mundane of objects, in the right hands, can be transformed into a thing of great beauty and wonderful things arise from the most humble and unlikely of beginnings. ~Gunnr Rhys