Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New Old Shirt

I believe I gave this shirt to my husband the first Christmas after we were married. That would make it over 12 years old, and he's loved it well and worn it often. So much so, that he wore a hole in the elbow.

But its still one of his favorite shirts and nothing is wrong with the rest of it, so I decided to see what I could do to save it, starting with snipping off the offending sleeve and its partner.

Then I turned up the raw edges a couple of times and sewed 'em up. Voila! A brand new old shirt. Husband was thrilled; so thrilled in fact, he wore his new old shirt to work today.

I also thriftily saved the four buttons that were on the cuffs of the sleeves that I cut off-- spares if he needs them for the collar some day, or, buttons for completely different future project.

Now I know that experienced sewers are probably thinking, "Big deal" but you see, I am most definitely NOT an experienced sewer and have rather a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine. So what might be a simple project for some, turned into a bit of an adventure for me, what with having to fill bobbins with thread before I began and having to pick out a whole row of stitches because I didn't check or pay attention to the stitch length settings before I went merrily sewing away.

However, its the finished product that counts, and the finished product is a completely serviceable short sleeved shirt! Ta-dah!

4 comments:

Dori said...

You did a great job. Everyone at one time or another was new to sewing. You can't let your inexperience stop you.

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

Very Impressive! It's always wonderful when a plan comes together...and even better that it was for the dear hubs, a win-win!
Blessings~
Cindy

Walk in the Woods said...

Nicely done! I love re-fashioning old clothes to give them new life - as do those who wear them ... and mama earth too!

Nydia said...

I'm impressed! I wouldn't dare touching a t-shirt to do anyhting! LOL I'm not good at sewing... You did a great job! :o)

Kisses and love from us.