Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Knotwork

A year or two ago I found Suzen Millodot's book Chinese Knots for Beaded Jewelry and fell utterly in love with knot work done with satin cording. This week, I've been practicing knot work techniques.

The beginnings of a Chinese button knot-- done with two cords, it can be considered a Double Button knot. I love the look of two colors together in one knot.

Learning a Celtic rectangle knot from another of Millodot's books. I admit, I went a little cross-eyed trying to figure out the first step for setting up this knot, but once I got past that, it was just following the over-and-under pattern. I adore Celtic knots!

Once I learn the knots, the process becomes a rather meditative one as I follow the cord end weaving over and under and through itself. After the pattern is set, then I follow the cord again as I work back around the knot, tightening it up.

I think the key to knot work is to get past the sometimes frustrating part of figuring out how to make the knot and learning it... after that, your mind and fingers remember, and the process is almost soothing.

4 comments:

Draven said...

I love knot work myself, both of my tattoo's are celtic knot work... What book would you recommend for one who wants to learn?

threadsofmagique said...

I've got 2 of her knotting books and I absolutely love them! It is very meditative work.

intothedawn said...

DRAVEN~ So far the only books I have on this technique are Suzen Millodot's. If you specifically want Celtic knots, I would recommend her book Celtic Knots for Beaded Jewelry, although I think her most detailed book is the one on Chinese knots. (Both these books are linked to Amazon in my post).

I also reference this macrame site: http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/learn-macrame.html

It has instructions on Chinese and Celtic knots, as well as knots used for macrame.

Hope this helps you get started!

THREADSOFMAGIQUE~ LOL! I have 3 of her books and am constantly inspired by them.

Arlene said...

That really reminds me of my macrame days. I love Celtic knotwork too! Beautiful!

By the way, I have given you an award - for details, see my latest blog post: http://www.spiritessenceart.com/2010/03/ive-won-award.html