Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blessed Lughnasadh

It's here already-- the first harvest! I've been watching the wheat in a small field near our house get more and more golden and I know that were I back in Iowa, the corn would be towering over my head, the ears full of plump kernels.
There was three kings into the east,
Three kings both great and high,
And they hae sworn a solemn oath
John Barleycorn should die.

They took a plough and plough'd him down,
Put clods upon his head,
And they hae sworn a solemn oath
John Barleycorn was dead.

But the cheerful Spring came kindly on,
And show'rs began to fall;
John Barleycorn got up again,
And sore surpris'd them all.

~excerpt from "John Barleycorn"
by Robert Burns, 1872


I often like to celebrate Lughnasadh simply by making cornbread muffins. I give some as an offering to the god/dess and the birds, the rest enjoyed by my husband and me. (And Moose, when he begs hard enough-- he seems to really like cornbread. He's a strange kitty). Here is my favorite recipe for muffins:

HONEY CORNBREAD MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:


1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease or line 12 muffin cups.

2. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, honey, eggs and salt. Mix in flour, cornmeal and baking powder; blend thoroughly. Stir in milk and corn. Pour or spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments: