Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sweet Corn Moon

Tonight is a gloriously brilliant full moon and I can so easily see why there is a traditional Scottish folk prayer that rejoices thus:

Greeting to you, gem of the night!
Beauty of the skies, gem of the night!
Mother of the stars, gem of the night!
Foster child of the sun, gem of the night!
Majesty of the stars, gem of the night!

I sat on the patio tonight and watched the moon. I howled quietly at it, so as not to disturb the neighbors. The night was so cool-- no heat still rising from the ground after the warm day; the change of seasons is absolutely coming, one can feel it in the very air.

I watched the moon and the tree leaves bobbing in the soft breeze and I listened to the layered chorus of crickets merrily chirping away and during that time, I was between the worlds and knew utter peace.

No comments: