Monday, September 20, 2010

Tarot Card Inspired Tarot Bag

Using scrap fabric, plus some inspiration from the colors of the deck itself, I sewed up a tarot bag recently.


The deck is the Druidcraft Tarot and I pulled from The Lady (III) and Princess of Cups cards for the color scheme for my bag. The color of the panne velvet isn't quite accurately shown in these pics, it is more of an olive hue-- both the velvet and the cotton batik for the lining were leftover from when I made a cloak for myself several years ago. I made the bag a generous size of 9 x 7 inches.


I found the braided trim and beaded trim for half price, and both perfectly matched the colors in the cards shown, which are two of my favorite from the deck. The braid is a bit bulky for cinching up the bag with the drawstring, but I still like the way it looks.


Being a novice sewer, I wasn't able to completely hide the woven edge of the beaded trim into the seam of my bag bottom. My sewing machine foot wouldn't go over the beads if I got close enough to the edge to hide the woven part. There must be a little trick to doing that? If any one has suggestions on how to do that, I'd love to know for next time.

Overall, though, I'm really pleased with how my tarot bag turned out! I love the colors and the style and I really like that I'm using a bag that I created myself to store one of my favorite tarot decks.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

that is beautiful! You did a wonderful job. You have inspired me to make one for my cards. I have some beautiful blue velvet I want to use.

hidingplainsight said...

There IS a little trick for getting close to trim. I use a zipper foot so that I can stitch right next to the beading or piping.

Lovely and my favorite deck of all time is the Druidcraft Tarot

Nydia said...

As I said on FB, your tarot bags are gorgeous! I love the velvet, we can almost feel its softness, wonderful!

Kisses and love from us.