Wednesday, September 8, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Faux-ish Turquoise

I've been wanting to play with techniques using acrylic paint on raw clay for a while now, so I decided a simple faux-ish turquoise effect would be a good place to start. What I was really going for was the interesting "veining" the paint creates more than making faux turquoise that looked so real it could fool ya.


The first part of the technique calls for chopping up your clay, which I did with my ripple blade. Then, the messy part-- slathering the chopped up pieces with black paint. I admit, I cheated. I didn't use my hands and get all goopy, I used an old paintbrush. Does this mean I get my Polymer Clay Smoosher card taken away?

After the paint dried-- and I won't lie to you, I got distracted and it had a nice long week or so to do that-- I smooshed all the clay back together into a nice little loaf shape. Then I made some bead cores with plain clay and covered them with slices from my faux-ish turquoise loaf.


I made round beads and played around with making some tube beads. It actually wasn't as easy to do this as I thought it would be. I'm not the best cane or loaf slicer, I'm still working on making even, thin slices. And then I had to roll and roll the beads in my hands to get them conditioned well. I think the paint stiffens or dries the clay a bit, which makes it hard to get a nice smooth surface.

At any rate, I'm happy with the faux-ish turquoise look I achieved and I think the beads will be perfect for what I have in mind once they've been varnished.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Are you tired of looking for bitcoin faucets?
Triple your claiming speed with this advanced BITCOIN FAUCET ROTATOR.