Wednesday, October 20, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Tarot Bags

Remember my tarot card inspired tarot bag I made? I got such a positive response about it from tarot friends, I decided I'd try my hand at making bags to sell in my online shops and at my vendor's booth at the Denver Witches' Ball this upcoming Saturday. So I've been sewing up a storm recently!

Spent one whole evening, six or seven hours, just cutting out the pieces for the bag and liner and pinning in the fringe/beaded edging. Then on to the sewing! Of course I'd get a color combination idea that I didn't have cut out yet and would have to go back and pin and cut more, but for the most part things have been moving right along.


Just *some* of the finished bags.

I've sewed so much in the last 2 weeks, I'm actually starting to get comfortable with my sewing machine! The machine manual is my best friend. I've learned so much with this project, like how to use the zipper foot. And I don't know the technical terms, but I learned to adjust little lever thingy for the feed pressure for velvet vs. cotton. Makes a huge difference!

I envisioned creating something really elegant to hold tarot decks and I really like how these bags have turned out. I made them a very generous size, too, so that they can hold even the largest decks. They are 8 x 6 inches overall and about 6 x 6 inches below the drawstring. If you use the bag for a smaller tarot deck, you could even store a small spread cloth in the bag with it.

If you're in the Denver area, watch for my tarot bags' debut at the Denver Witches' Ball on Saturday, October 23rd and look for them in my Etsy and ArtFire shops soon after that!

5 comments:

Pallas Renatus said...

They're beautiful =) I'll keep an eye out in your shops.

Steph said...

Oh, those are lovely!

Robin Larkspur said...

I absolutely love your tarot bags, excellent design, and it looks like you have colors for all tastes. Be sure to post when you put them in your etsy shop!!!! Congrats on learning your sewing machine, I envy people who can sew!!!

hidingplainsight said...

so! The zipper foot idea worked!

lovely bags!

imprintcreations said...

These are really lovely. Materials, braids and fringing all wonderful combinations. I've made my own tarot bags but nothing as awesome as these!