Sunday, February 6, 2011

Calavera Dreaming

My fascination with all art that is Dia de los Muertos related continues, and I've fed my interest by acquiring this great book, which I learned about from my friend Sage.


This book is chock-full of ideas for creating ofrendas and nichos (altars/shrines for honoring the dead), calaveras (skeletons), and all manner of Day of the Dead decorated masks, skulls, jewelry and more. I want to create a whole line of DotD pieces, can't wait to play with ideas from this book.


Speaking of playing with ideas, I recently created a set of custom sugar skull beads for another friend who is likewise fascinated by Dia de los Muertos. These beads are about 2 cm long and 1.5 cm at their widest point. It was a real challenge putting so many details on such a small bead, but didn't they turn out to be the happiest little colorful skulls you've ever seen? They are now on their way to China!

Many more Day of the Dead ideas are brewing... more to come throughout the year.

6 comments:

Walk in the Woods said...

LoVe the beads!

intothedawn said...

Thanks so much, Rose!

Julia said...

Those are awesome!! Love them!! *hint hint* Maybe you could do a tutorial? What can I say I love polymer clay and those would be awesome to make!!

Many smiles and blessings!!

intothedawn said...

JULIA~ Thank you! I actually made a very simplified version of a Dinko Skull, the tutorial is here--

http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/castle/dinkoskull.html

Then I used my clay extruder with a "noodle/hair" disc to make the colorful bits.

Crystalrainbow said...

Hi just stumbled accross your wonderful blog Goddess knows how ive never come accross you before. Ive been blog hoppinG around for hours and came accross a shop with your stuff in? loved the Goddess wall plaque x crystal

intothedawn said...

CRYSTALRAINBOW~ Hello! I'm thrilled that you found my blog, welcome! And thank you for the positive feedback on the Goddess plaque; I have plans to make more so its good to know that first one was so appealing. :-)