Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Sample of Fairy Doors

In less than a week, I will be showing a group of people how to make polymer clay fairy doors. My friend Windy arranged for me to teach about 15 or so members and students in her circle. I've put together some basic instructions and information for handouts, and I also came up with some templates for several different door shapes for everyone to use.

My friend and I have gotten together several times in preparation for the class to make sample fairy doors so that we could show everyone a variety of ideas for creating their doors using the different templates, as well as ways to decorate them. These are the doors I came up with.

I made one with each template shape (and used one template 2 different ways), and tried to include a variety of techniques...

... faux woodgrain, faux stone using embossing powders, using rubber stamps and texture sheets, using a clay extruder for making vines and branches, simple canework...

... using scrapbooking supplies, jewelry findings, beads and metal charms for decorating...


Hopefully, I've covered all the basics! Looking forward to the class, can't wait to see what everyone makes. Just the preparation has been lots of fun.

6 comments:

Desert Rubble said...

I love, love, love these! Love the 'knockers', too, very creative.

GreenWheel said...

These are sooooooooooo cute! I mean these are friggin' wonderful, love it! I am generally not a oven-clay girl, my preference is the air-dry terra cotta clay; but this make me think maybe... or at any rate inspires me to maybe give it a go with my type of clay (when I discover what "safe place" I put it in!)

Desert Wind Designs said...

Love it! So much fun! They are wonderful!

Sorrow said...

They are ALL so adorable!
Man it would be hard to choose!
Hope you get some picks of what your students come up with! It will be great to see what you have inspired in the hearts of others!

greekwitch said...

So much cuteness! They are unbelievably beautiful. Never seen anything like it byu the way. Very unique and creative!
Brightest blessings.

kijjet said...

These are great! My mom loves fairies and we found the cutest fairy door in a shop on Fisherman's wharf in San Fran. She's moved a few times since she first got it but it always finds a new home in each house. I always leave little trinkets or food by the door. My mom pretends like I'm crazy saying "there aren't REALLY fairies!"... but secretly she knows there are and leaves little trinkets herself. :D It makes me happy. I don't think I'm crafty enough to make some as cute as the ones you posted. Maybe I can paint one... :)