Tuesday, March 1, 2011

PAJ Week 3: I Believe

During the time that I was mulling over the question what do I believe? for the third week of Pagan Art Journaling, we received a call that my husband's grandmother had died. I've been trying to sort out my beliefs about Death for years and years... and I realized this would be a good topic for this week's journal page.

When the pastor at Grandma's funeral started talking about how Death was wrong and unnatural and the result of original sin, I knew I had picked the right topic for sharing about what I believe. Because I believe that Death is a natural part of the cycle of Life.

Its taken me many years on my pagan path to come to this belief. Sometimes it offers me comfort, other times, not so much. Yet I know its true. Everything dies at some point, whether human, animal or plant. And perhaps we rise up again, like seeds in the spring time-- perhaps we get another life after this one, and another and another. Perhaps Death is just the seed planted for a new life.

8 comments:

Dori said...

I agree DawnMarie. Death is a part of life. And maybe some of us do come back. I like your post very much.

Sunni said...

Very deep and meaningful topic. I agree with that view, it doesn't usually give me comfort but I know that's just how it is and I have to accept that. Great post.

intothedawn said...

DORI~ Thanks; its good to know that others see it the same way as well.

SUNNI~ Its definitely easier to take comfort in this belief when I can also say that the person lived a long, full life... but its never easy to say goodbye to a loved one...

aradia's cauldron said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you that death is a part of our life cycle and I love that you used the prompt to explore such a heartfelt topic!

Crystalrainbow said...

Beautifully done :) something i need to get my head around..... hmmm great thoughtful post x

Emi Brade said...

Love the use of Sugar Skulls to represent the celebration if death.

intothedawn said...

ARADIA~ I never meant to take such a serious turn with the prompt this week, but it provided a really good way to look at my feelings on Death.

CRYSTALRAINBOW~ It's a difficult topic to wrap your head around, we don't come from a society that is comfortable with aging or death.

EMI~ Thanks! I was very excited when I found those sugar skull stamps-- I love the whole concept behind Dia de los Muertos.

Walk in the Woods said...

This simple truth has nourished and sustained me for more years than I can recall. :)