Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Peacock Tales

So I have a project where I'm trying to create the look of peacock feathers and it has been challenging to say the least.

To begin with, its taken forever for me to get the clay I needed for the project-- Premo has a peacock pearl clay in their new 2011 colors, but so far I've not been able to find it locally even though it was released in January. I couldn't even find it online anywhere-- stores that carried some of the new colors didn't seem to have this particular color in stock, for whatever reason. Finally, after looking and looking I found some to order online and ended up paying an exorbitant shipping price for it.

The other color I need is green pearl, which has been discontinued in lieu of the new 2011 Premo pearl colors, so that has also created a difficulty. I finally found two blocks of it locally and have been hoarding it for this project.

But ANYWAYS-- on to creating the peacock feathers:


First I mixed two shades of peacock pearl and created these "eye" canes which will be in the center of the peacock feather. Then I mixed a darker shade of green pearl and was ready to assemble the second part of the feather cane.

I have to add--I am not a caner; I have very little experience with the technique, and then its been with only the very simplest of cane designs, so I approached this peacock cane project with all the online feather cane tutorial information I could find and quite a bit of trepidation as well.

Failed cane attempts #1 and #2. Sigh. The one on the left didn't seem to have enough definition between the layers of black & green, plus the shape wasn't what I wanted. On the right, I tried using silver between the green layers for more definition and I got it-- but did not like the results.

So I decided to lighten the dark green pearl just a bit so it wouldn't blend into the black and I tweaked the cane design a little and--

Finally. A peacock feather tip. But would it reduce and still look okay? *fingers crossed*

Yay! I'm pleased with how this one turned out. I think it will work for what comes next. And its a good thing, because all my trial and error has used up the majority of the peacock and green pearl clays I had.

Now on to stage two...

5 comments:

Dori said...

I love the colors you are using. Very nice. Can't wait to see how it all turns out! Have fun.

averilpam said...

It's looking good - and you'll find something good to do with all the scrap clay you are creating! Look forward to seeing the end result :)

intothedawn said...

DORI- Thanks! Its been a great learning process and I'm excited to see the end result myself! LOL

AVRILPAM~ Thank you! I never realized how much cane you get when doing this-- already planning projects for all the cane I'm going to have left over.

Crystalrainbow said...

Looks good to me :) canes are so time consuming but love the results cant wait to see what comes next !

Kathleen said...

Looks good to me too :-)

The "failed" attempts almost look like wombs to me ...