Sunday, August 21, 2011

Inside Mother Earth

We're home from vacation in South Dakota! On our last day there, I braved my fears of heights and enclosed spaces and visited Sitting Bull Crystal Cave-- and it was amazing.

To get to the cave, we descended 187 steps that were so steep we had to go down them backwards, like a ladder.

The Chandelier Room ceiling

When we reached the bottom and went along a short passage that opened up into a huge underground room that looked as though we were standing inside a giant geode.

Close-up of a crystal cluster on the ceiling.

Calcite formations known as dog-tooth spars covered the ceiling, the walls and floor of the cave.


Some of the spars reached 16 inches in length. Those above were bigger than my hand.


Some of the calcite layers were different colors from iron and other minerals, which created formations like this "eye" shape in one wall...


... and stripes like in the Rainbow Arch.

My photos don't even begin to do justice to the underground beauty I saw. I could have stayed down there so much longer than we did (the tour was about 45 minutes). I was awe struck, it was so amazing.

And to me, it felt sacred as well. I was very aware that I was in the womb of Mother Earth, so to speak. I would have loved to have had a moment alone, to express my reverence to the Lady, to give thanks for the experience. I did so silently, and hoped the acknowledgment that I knew I was within sacred space was enough.

5 comments:

CharMyers said...

That is amazing.....it would be hard to get me out of a place like that.

Arlene said...

I'll bet that was amazing. I'm sure it was fine what you did! Special place.

Debbi Andersen said...

awesome! have you dont the cave of the winds down here???

Crystalrainbow said...

wow that looks amazing and very brave :)

Kim said...

Fascinating! It must have been like being in another world! :)