Wednesday, October 19, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Leaf Cane

 I am making a Greenman wall plaque for a custom order, but before I can actually start designing the Greenman, I need to make a leaf cane...


I don't use a lot of canes in my work, but I can figure out how to make simple ones like this; it just takes me a while to put them together. I made a Skinner blend of two shades of olive clay (light & dark) and then rolled up the blend to make a plug. Then, I cut the plug apart and added brown clay for the veins of the leaves.

Next I reduced the cane in size, by carefully squeezing, rolling and stretching it. For simplicity's sake, I'm going to leave the cane round and then shape the leaves into teardrops after I slice it.

Now I can move on to creating the actual Greenman design!

No comments: