Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tree Wisdom

All of my early autumn contemplation and turning inward found me yearning to further my pagan knowledge and studies, so I decided to do something I've always wanted to do-- learn about the Celtic Trees and ogham.


To guide me, I'll be working through Sharlyn Hidalgo's The Healing Power of Trees, probably with some extra help from Steven Blamires's Celtic Tree Mysteries. And since I may not have the opportunity to meet very many of these trees-- Colorado being awash in mostly pines, aspens and cottonwoods, it seems-- I have the Celtic Tree Oracle cards to use as a meditation focus, and some very generous friends from around the United States who have offered to send me small branches of some of the trees they have in their yards. Come spring, a visit to the Denver Botanical Gardens will be in order; perhaps I can meet many of these trees there.

Thinking about it now, I'm surprised I didn't decide to do this sooner-- I love working with stones and herbs; but most of all, I love trees. As a child, I was enchanted with the weeping willow tree in our backyard; she was my first taste of the Goddess. Truly, I adore almost all trees I meet. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn from them.

3 comments:

Bewitching Dreams said...

What a beautiful post and idea. I have found as I have gotten older, I have grown more appreciation for trees. I love quiet mornings, when the leaves begin to trickle down with gentle breezes and the branches sway slowly. It is a beautiful dance that I feel honored to observe and wish sometimes that others would not be so rushed, so they too could enjoy nature's beauty. *hugs*

c said...

I've always felt a connection to trees. I've wanted to learn more about them. partly because of wanting to figure out some of the odd bits that various women in my life said or did in connection to trees. Didn't realize there was a Celtic connection to trees.

Dori said...

This is a wonderful post. I have always loved trees. Especially in the forest. I think you will learn a lot and be quite happy with what you learn. ((hugs))