Friday, January 13, 2012

A is for Altar

I always enjoy seeing how others decorate their altars; thought I would share some of mine this week for my second post for the Pagan Blog Project. I have a Craft/craft room-- sacred spiritual space where I also create my art and I have several altars in this room.

I posted a pic of my main altar last week, but didn't talk about the ancestor connection it has. This altar is on an antique Victorian era marble-topped "Eastlake" table that belonged to my paternal great-grandmother. My gram had it in her house for many decades, then my mom had it, and now it belongs to me. I feel very fortunate that I have this lovely table with a family connection to use as my altar. (You may notice that almost everything on my main altar is contained-- this is my solution for cat-proofing my altar!)

I also have my meditation altar, which is on my gram's antique pocket sewing table. The altar cloth on this altar and my main altar are both tea towels that my gram embroidered. I am a polymer clay mixed media artist and I created the goddess figure that's on this altar. This is where I keep my affirmation tarot deck and each moon cycle of the year has a different card of affirmations that I focus on.

A third altar in my Craft room is this one for Kuan Yin. Once again, this altar has a little bit of family connection. The little chest it is sitting on is my gram's mini cedar chest from her childhood and the large seashell is a conch from my grandma.

Not all of my altars are large and detailed. This is a little one that I had on my bedside table for a while. I loved it for the simplicity.

I created this altar out in my herb garden the year of my 10th wedding anniversary. I took my husband out there and we re-read our wedding vows to each other and read the journal I kept during our first year of marriage.

I created this altar at a pagan festival one summer. I found all the rocks and pinecones on site. Note the battery operated tea light. It was very dry that year in the mountains-- safety first!

One of my most personal altars was actually very public. This remembrance altar for my gram was at an art gallery for their annual Day of the Dead celebration.

It is interesting how each altar has a life of its own. I used to change my altars with the sabbats, but now I often keep them the same for long periods of time, only changing them when they need new "life."


6 comments:

Nadja said...

I loved the photos!!! My altar is a bit sad lately.. my boyfriend comes home and puts things on it... my maid also reasembles everything to her taste and I struggle to mantain it the way I want

intothedawn said...

NADJA~ Mine are needing a bit of TLC-- dusting and such. Sounds like your bf & maid need a little lesson in respecting sacred space! Can you move your altar space somewhere a little more private or out of the way? I know space is often limited. I am lucky to have a room for mine.

Witchfire said...

i love them all! Great post.

Dori said...

Thank you for sharing your altars. They are all lovely. I don't have room for an altar now but I do have a shelf that I have a few things on. No pictures right now. I will post a pic when I take one. Blessings

Elayne Lockhart said...

I enjoyed the post and the photos. I especially like the altar you did the the summer pagan festival.

intothedawn said...

WITCHFIRE~ Thanks so much!

DORI~ A shelf works as an altar or shrine! I don't think an altar needs to be big and full of items; its the intent that counts.

ELAYNE~ Thank you. That one is one of my favorites too-- it had great energy because most of what was used was found at the site; plus, many people at the festival helped find enough of the quartz stones to complete it, so it was a community effort as well.