Saturday, January 7, 2012

A is for Apple

I've joined the Pagan Blog Project, where we'll be blogging our way through the alphabet this year, one letter at a time, two posts for each letter.

Not to sound elementary, but for the letter A, I'm starting with apple. I use them quite a bit in my practice. Cut an apple horizontally, and they have a little star or pentacle in the center. They embody the maiden, mother and crone with their colors-- red skin, white inner flesh, black seeds. I think of apples as a sacred food.

I associate apples with the Autumn Equinox and with Samhain. Around September, apples are ready to be harvested and I've used them along with grapes and nuts to decorate my Mabon altar. Since they're also considered food for the dead, I leave an apple out for passing spirits each Samhain.

I've collected many different pieces of wood for wands over the years, but the one I've worked with the most is a beautiful piece of apple wood. I've cut it down to a nice length and done some peeling of bark and sanding. I still want to do more with it, adding the ogham letter for apple and some other symbols and perhaps carving some apples on it (not sure if I'm talented enough for that). But even unfinished, my apple wand feels very magical.

Are apples important to your practice of the Craft?

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Miss Zenesis said...

You have a very lovely altar. Wonderful post!

DrFeather said...

I love using dried apples on my besoms :)

Elayne Lockhart said...

I enjoyed your post very much. Apple is my favorite fruit. It is a Welsh custom to take an apple to a friend's home the first time you visit as a sign of Love, Health and Happiness.

*~ Aurora Brierley ~* said...

What a wonderful blog! I have never used apples before in my rites, but I will be trying to fit them in at some point.

I love how when you cut the apple there is the 5 pointed star... and can I just say how beautiful your altar is. Thank you for sharing BB xx

celticawitch said...

Ah yes, I love Apples too. I have a piece of apple branch with leaves on my dressing table to remind me to be mindful each day. I loved the analogy of the apple representing all three aspects of the Goddess...funnily I'd not thought of that so thank you for bringing that to my attention. Lovely first post for PBP. By the way, I love the crafts you make...beautiful.
Blessings
Deep~Glade

intothedawn said...

Thanks so much everyone for your comments, especially about my altar. I forgot to say in my post that this is my "cat proof" altar, hence everything in jars/under glass.

ELAYNE~ Thanks for sharing about the Welsh housewarming custom! I knew that basil was a traditional gift, nice to know about apples too.

AstraeaSapphire said...

I think I just may join this project. I hadn't heard about it until now.

Off topic, I tagged you in a post over at my blog. http://www.magicalmom.net/2012/01/tagged.html You may or may not want to participate. Either way, its just for fun.

Kelly, "Moon Willow Witch" said...

Very nice post and blog!