Friday, February 3, 2012

C is for Crochet-- Everyday Knot Magic

Crochet-- a form of magical knotwork craft? I think it can be. Since I am all about expressing myself through creative work, its only natural that I relate something as common as crocheting to my pagan path.


Crochet can be a project that celebrates the sabbats, like with these doilies I made; an egg for the Spring Equinox...


... and a holly design for the Winter Solstice. I have collected many, many doily books and patterns over the years and have found something for almost every sabbat; sunflowers for Summer Solstice, wheat and corn designs for Lughnasadh, apples for Mabon, pumpkins for Samhain... Now to become industrious enough to sit down and make them all!

From decorative to more practical crochet magic-- amulet bags. Simple little amulet bags can be made to wear as necklaces and filled with affirmations, herbs, stones, etc. as a constant reminder and piece of empowerment for the Craft work one is doing.

I've also created amulet bags worn only for specific occasions, like the one above, created for my power animal. I chose colors, as well as the design, houndstooth stitch, that relate specifically to my animal. I have it filled with sage and items related to my animal and I wear it only during shamanic journeying.

When I discovered beaded crochet, it added a new dimension to the style of items I could make, like this beaded rune bag.


And don't forget the mundane! I made this Dr. Who scarf for my husband one year and crocheted it with magical intent, thinking loving thoughts like, "may he always be warm whenever he wears this scarf," "may he feel my love whenever he wears this scarf," and the like. Magical intent can be crocheted into hats, mittens, socks, baby blankets, sweaters and more this way.

I find that treating crochet as a form of magical work is a wonderful way to bring my Craft into what could be considered a mundane activity. And that's really what its all about, isn't it? Making magic everyday?

(This post is part of the alphabetical topic series for the Pagan Blog Project)

14 comments:

CharMyers said...

Gotta have some magic, thats what makes life fun!

Lori Davies said...

Great projects! Thanks for sharing your work. And props on the scarf, that's on my eventually list. Tom Baker will always be my Doctor. :)

Teresa Kintner Gunderson said...

Oh, absolutely true! Knot Magic is strong magic. :-)

Susan said...

WAAY cool!! new follower here :)
BB,
Susan

Babs of Crowe Shea Fashions said...

This is why I enjoy working with natural fibers. They hold the energy better.

But even synthetics aren't bad - I can still get in some meditation time while working with them.

Ivy said...

I love these. I crochet, but only one little stitch to make scarves. This has inspired me to learn more stitches and to read patterns. I love the scarf! My hubbys fave doctor is Tom Baker, I think. I'm a David Tennant girl, meself. Brilliant!

Elle Hull said...

I've been on a journey to take crochet back up. I've done well with the usual stitches but have still yet to make anything! Need to find some simple patterns to follow. Great post and thank you for inspiring me further!

Homelight said...

I love to knit - and like crocheting I feel like I'm putting things back together.

Xaia said...

I would never have thought of crochet at knot-magic. I tried to learn once, awhile back, but never quite got the hang of it. But I love the items you have pictured here. All so beautifully made!

Mother Moon said...

it is something I have always wanted to do.. especially the finer things... guess I just dont have the patience.. gorgeous

Helpful Teresa said...

I love crochet! I actually am trying to make an afghan for each esbat and sabbat.
I also have made bags to keep my tarot cards in, as well as my runes.
I had almost forgotten about making doilies, its been so long since I made any.

Harzgeist said...

For me, knitting is my everyday magic. It helps me calm down after a long day, and it's the easiest way apart from cooking to give people items I blessed.

Sparrow said...

I really loved your blog. Have you checked out any of the AntiCraft's patterns?

Salem Witch Child said...

I love your projects and yes it is a form of magickal knot work., :) I also crochet, though I'm still very much learning.