Friday, March 9, 2012

E is for Elm

With the semi-arid climate here in Colorado, big leafy trees are fairly rare (big PINE trees are another story). Our next door neighbor has a huge elm tree that hangs over the fence into our backyard; its a tenacious and messy tree, sending off runners to start new trees in all the nearby neighbor's yards and frequently dropping branches in ours after windy days. Nonetheless, its a lovely, large, shady tree with gracefully drooping branches that are lovely to watch through the window in my craft room. So I figure I should learn more about a tree that is so majestic and so prominent in my life.


Element: water

Day of the week: Tuesday

Planet: Saturn

Gods: Odin, Loki, Dionysus

Goddesses: Cerridwen, Danu, Gaia, Hel

Associations/Powers: attraction, birth, compassion, empathy, endurance, energy, grounding, healing, intuition, love, passages,rebirth, stability, wisdom

Magical uses: protects against lightening strikes, attracts love, use as amulets and wands for love spells, use for dark moon or initiation rituals, grounding after ritual, seeking comfort

My personal experience with the elm is that it is very tenacious. Although it does tend to lose branches frequently, it also reproduces easily. I can see how it's associated with birth, rebirth and healing. The main tree sends off runners (root suckers) that come up everywhere and quickly turn into new trees. If we don't catch them when they are tiny and pull them out, they grow quickly are are hard to get rid of-- we cut them down to the ground, but they sprout back up again.

The elm feels very feminine; maternal, even, with all her little babies coming up everywhere nearby. The graceful, drooping branches also seem very feminine.

I have the neighbor's elm to thank for free firewood for our patio fire bowl. While we've let some of the runners alone to grow, others we've had to cut down, and so I have the elm to thank for a collection of stangs I am saving to share with pagan friends. Overall, I would say that the elm is a very giving tree.

Sources for magical correspondences:

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
A Wiccan Formulary & Herbal by A.J. Drew
Whispers from the Woods: the Lore & Magic of Trees by Sandra Kynes Green Magic: The Sacred Connection to Nature by Ann Moura

3 comments:

greekwitch said...

Beautiful post and now i want that tree!

Jeanne said...

A wonderful post!!! Thank you so much for writing this post! :0)
I can truly relate to the Elm 'children'. I have several 2nd and 3rd generation children in my backyard. And while the Mother has long since passed on, I plan on nurturing the children which she graced me with.

Keltikmystique said...

Great post! BTW- I have nominated you for an award :)

Visit my blog for details, and feel free to grab it for your page :)
http://keltikmystique.blogspot.com/