Friday, March 30, 2012

G is for Garden Guardian

This spring I have finally had to admit that its time to let go of my very first garden guardian, little friend Turtle. He was so lovely in his early years...


... but not so much anymore. Sun, snow, dropping tree branches, neighbors burying their electric cable and dumping dirt and rocks on him in the process, have laid friend Turtle low. Bleached out, broken shell, he's been in sad shape for a couple of years now, but its taken me until this spring to find the perfect new guardian for the herb garden, although I half-heartedly started looking last year.


But when I saw this little owl, I knew the goddess Blodeuwedd was making Herself known to me once more. What could be more perfect than an owl, Her animal aspect, to sit on the offering stone on the east (air) side of my herb garden to guard it? Blodeuwedd herself was made of herbs and flowers, so it seems very auspicious to have Her blessing upon my garden.


When I placed the little owl on the offering stone at the entrance of my little herb garden, I briefly welcomed Blodeuwedd and asked for her blessing and protection; however, I plan on doing a much more formal welcome and dedication to Her at Beltaine, which I consider her Sabbat, as she is a May Queen. But for now, I feel pleased and comforted to have found the perfect new guardian for the garden.


This post is part of the alphabetical topic series for the Pagan Blog Project.

10 comments:

Dori said...

I love both of your guardians. Maybe you could plant some moss or some low growing plant in the turtle. That would be beautiful. I love the Owl too.

Linda Ursin said...

A lovely Owl, and I like the idea for the Turtle posted above :)

Jeanne said...

Oh yes, the idea of plants growing forth from the turtle is such a marvelous idea! A great memorial for a very trusty guardian! :0)
And the Owl is most lovely. She already looks at home. :0)

Ila East said...

Several years ago, before I became Pagan, I found a rabbit and a frog that just fit my garden. These babies have been in my garden ever since, peaking out from beneath the plants.

I became Pagan in October of last year. Don't ask me why but several weeks ago we were in Walmart and this Gnome just practically leaped out at me. Now, I know garden Gnomes have a bad rap, but I just had to have it.

A week later I found an owl dressing for fishing. Hubby is an avid fisherman, so I just had to have it. It sits proudly in the flower bed by the door.

I don't think I would really call any of these my garden guardians, but who knows. Maybe the Gnome will get a better reputation by being in MY garden. ;)

Monique @ Magpie Hollow said...

What a wonderful little owl !! A great guardian for your herb garden !!
Have a great day.

Salem Witch Child said...

You have lovely garden guardians. But I agree the turtles work isn't done. He simply needs a new purpose. I think planting a very special plant in his shell would be magnificent.

Sally said...

That's a lovely owl. x

☼Illuminary☼ said...

AWwwwwwww
That is one sweet Guardian owl!

☼Illuminary☼ said...

PS I think I need to make one of those to go with Brigits hare...
~lol~

Engineer&TheGypsy said...

Beautiful! I love both your guardians... And it's such a wonderful feeling to know you've gotten your sign :-)